Thursday, July 12, 2007

Pink, White, and Blue in the Garden

Today's blooming of my Pulsatilla vulgaris "dissecta" was a suprise. Not just because this is a little late for Pasque flowers, but because it certainly isn't a "dissecta". I ordered two of this plant and obviously, this plant was mislabeled or the seed didn't come true. Anyhow, does anyone have a name for this lovely pink Pulsatilla? Otherwise, I now have white, two shades of purple, and red ones. This one is distinct from all the others and the company I bought it from doesn't even sell pink ones!
Mystery Pink Pulsatilla
I dug all the rest of the Siberian irises out of the bank of sedum this spring, thinking they'd get more water in the raised beds. Somehow I missed this one, a "Snow Queen" Siberian iris. It seems to be doing fine though. Ironically, most of the irises planted in the raised beds in fall 2005 have not bloomed!

I let my group of cornflowers spread seed last year and now I have this pretty blue haze of annual cornflowers (Centaurea cyanus) among the perennials. I notice that several little birds are starting the enjoy my forest of flowers too, because there is always some fluttering and rustling among the plants when I go out to the big raised bed. Come to think of it, that's probably why I also saw a cat slinking around there last night...
An update to the rest of you southern gardeners -- I am still waiting for my first daylilies! They have buds though, and I promise to send pictures. Karen in Ontario has the most amazing collection of daylilies - seventy of them! I'd definitely have to dig up the lawn to make room for that many daylilies...

No comments: