Thursday, July 26, 2007

Mutant Lily

I don't know what is going on with this LA hybrid lily, as it does not follow the usual 3 sepals and 3 petals with 6 stamens pattern that defines lilies. I noticed one bloom with 4 sepals/petals and another on the same stem with only 3.

Take a look at this bloom with four petals/sepals. Also notice the 5 stamens, one of which is fused at the bottom:
The underside of the flower makes it appear that a petal and sepal fused, with this green ridge along the midline of the petal/sepal:
This appears to be a normal version of the odd flower. Notice the distinct 3 sepals and 3 petals with 6 stamens!Did the lilies find some radioactive compost or what???

2 comments:

Ottawa Gardener said...

Gardening brings out scientist in many of us. I love look at flower oddities.

By the way, peppers are perennial so are eggplants and tomatoes but some are more short lived than others.

Have you tried growing through clear plastic mulch in one of those portable cold frames. I know seems like a lot of work but I cannot believe the difference just plastic mulch makes!

Justin said...

I had a Lilium Lancifolium (tiger lily) bloom this year. first flower had 6 petals and stamens.
second flower had only 4 petals and 4 stamens, and the third flower had 5 petals and 5 stamens.
they were very distinct shoals and petals too as well as the stamens.
there was no visible fusing at all.
It's very weird, I've tried looking all over online for others with the same experience and this is literally the only thing I have been able to find with someone else that had 4 and 5 petaled flowers.
maybe it's our sask weather 🤔. I'm in stoon .