Monday, August 25, 2008

Visiting Community Gardens While on Vacation

As any true obsessed gardener, I took a look at gardens while vacationing two provinces away. I took pictures of the Penticton, British Columbia community gardens on Vancouver hill. These gardens have been cursed with some resident deer who spend a great deal of time munching on the garden veggies, when they are not in my family's yard eating the flowerbed and shrubs.

Quail metal art just above the community gardens.

Sunflower in the middle of the gardens. Several have already offered their seeds to the birds.

I'm not sure if the padlock keeps people out or the worms in...

There are a few low fences, but no real deterrents to deer. Then again, maybe the gardens are an intentional offering to the deer?



I have no idea what this is, but it looks interesting.

4 comments:

Chookie said...

The plant in the last picture is Cavolo nero or Kale 'Tuscan Black'. I have some growing in my garden right now. It's even easier to grow than cabbage, but has a more robust flavour and texture. I must take a few photos of the ones in my garden for you.

I think the sculpture is of a pheasant rather than a quail; all the quail I've seen have hardly any tails at all.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

RURAL said...

I was so glad to see the photo of the kale, I am growing them for the first time, since I got tired of paying a huge sum of money to buy some in the winter. Mine are only 4 inches high, but I am eager to try them out. They have the best flavor of all the kale. You sound like you had a really good trip.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Ohh, thats what those plants are! I have seen them in lots of those municipality annual gardens and pots around the city (as decorative plants). They are nice... and apparently taste good too!

Gardenista said...

Hmmm. I have never tasted kale. I must try some someday! Yes, I agree that quail are stubby little birds. That art does look alot more like a pheasant. I think the guy that made it lives across the street from the gardens, as there is alot of his art in his yard. Someday I'll have to find out his inspiration.