Monday, August 04, 2008

RLM Rocks My World

Resident-lawnmower-man has been doing a lot of heavy lifting recently. My alpine bed and some other rock-work next to the house are seeing some progress. My alpine bed is a new project to give me a little more garden space, remove some lawn, and create a place to feature small rock garden and alpine perennials.
Present state of the alpine bed:

Realizing that alpine plants are ridiculously small and slow-growing however, I will be adding a few low-growing conifers. I was thinking about dwarf balsam fir, the tiniest mugo pine I can get, and a birdsnest spruce. Hopefully they still have some of these at the garden centers in Prince Albert.
RLM is collecting some huge blasted rocks with machinery borrowed from a neighbour. These rocks will be added to the center of the alpine bed.

The lake across the street from our house. Just imagine some loon-calls and mosquito bites, and you can enjoy the experience right there at your computer.


Guess who has company for a few days? Kona's sister is in town for a visit. We're happy to see them together -- they hadn't seen each other in over a year! They can howl in harmony at ambulances tonight. Kona is on the left:

4 comments:

Karen said...

I hope you find a mugho pine that stays tiny. Mine all grew rather larger than I expected, then succumbed to some kind of caterpillar attack. Needless to say, I no longer have any mugho pines.

easygardener said...

The lake views are wonderful but I'm happy to avoid the mosquitoes.

Kandace Groenewegen said...

I didn't realize you were so close!! It's beautiful. You can practically get the cabin living experience from where you are!

Roses and stuff said...

How interesting that you are creating an alpine garden - I'd love to see it progressing!

I found your blog through Blotanical and I'll most certainly be back!
/Katarina in Sweden