Monday, August 04, 2008

RLM Rocks My World

Resident-lawnmower-man has been doing a lot of heavy lifting recently. My alpine bed and some other rock-work next to the house are seeing some progress. My alpine bed is a new project to give me a little more garden space, remove some lawn, and create a place to feature small rock garden and alpine perennials.
Present state of the alpine bed:

Realizing that alpine plants are ridiculously small and slow-growing however, I will be adding a few low-growing conifers. I was thinking about dwarf balsam fir, the tiniest mugo pine I can get, and a birdsnest spruce. Hopefully they still have some of these at the garden centers in Prince Albert.
RLM is collecting some huge blasted rocks with machinery borrowed from a neighbour. These rocks will be added to the center of the alpine bed.

The lake across the street from our house. Just imagine some loon-calls and mosquito bites, and you can enjoy the experience right there at your computer.


Guess who has company for a few days? Kona's sister is in town for a visit. We're happy to see them together -- they hadn't seen each other in over a year! They can howl in harmony at ambulances tonight. Kona is on the left:

4 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

I hope you find a mugho pine that stays tiny. Mine all grew rather larger than I expected, then succumbed to some kind of caterpillar attack. Needless to say, I no longer have any mugho pines.

Anonymous said...

The lake views are wonderful but I'm happy to avoid the mosquitoes.

Kandace said...

I didn't realize you were so close!! It's beautiful. You can practically get the cabin living experience from where you are!

Katarina said...

How interesting that you are creating an alpine garden - I'd love to see it progressing!

I found your blog through Blotanical and I'll most certainly be back!
/Katarina in Sweden