Friday, May 09, 2008

Chionodoxa forbesii

Chionodoxa forbesii, commonly known as Glory-of-the-Snow, is a delicate flower that blooms from bulbs planted in the fall. Because the individual plants are so small, I plant groups of about 12 bulbs fairly close together. Multiple clumps of them produce a nice effect. I think the bright white centers of these flowers make them look like they are sparkling. These plants started blooming around May 1 in sunny areas. There are a few varieties of this plant, including white and pink blooms, but I just have the common blue one and I think it's quite nice. Behind the Chionodoxa is a closed bloom of a red Pulsatilla vulgaris, which has spent nearly the last week clenched up, seeming to protest the persistently cold weather.

Unfortunately, the rest of the yard still looks rather unpleasant, brown, and dusty. Therefore, I won't be showing you any photos of the rest my garden!

No comments: