Monday, May 12, 2008

Basement Garden Growing Obsession

My basement light garden as "gone hog wild", as a garden friend has put it. Truly, my grow-op overfloweth. I decided to actually take stock of what I'm growing down there, noting that the much anticipated world food shortage hasn't had too much impact on the ratio of vegetables to flowers. I do point out to resident-lawnmower-man that several of the flowers are edible, however. With great insight, he pointed out that perhaps we wouldn't last long eating just edible flowers. Hmmm. That RLM is quite a wise man.

Here's what's growing in my basement (and on a table in my bedroom):

Vegetable and herbs:
  • Rosemary
  • Italian Flatleaf Parsley
  • Thyme
  • Lemon basil
  • Spicy globe basil (I really like this one. It's compact and easy to grow indoors.)
  • Purple ruffles basil
  • Cilantro
  • Cherry tomato - Sweet Gold and Red Robin
  • Italian Sweet Pepper
  • Hybrid Broccoli Captain
  • Strawberry Pikan
Perennials:
  • Primula denticulata
  • Primula saxatilis
  • Euphorbia myrsinites
  • Euphoriba variegata - I hope planting this isn't a mistake? Anyone have some comments?
  • Arabis Spring charm
  • Silene saxifraga
  • Aquilegia flabellata nana
  • Pansy light strawberry sundae
  • Scabiosa japonica pink diamond
  • Papaver miyabeanum Pacino
Annuals:
  • Helitrope Dwarf Marine
  • Osteospermum Passion Mix
  • Dimorphotheca African Sun
  • Impatiens Super Elfin Mix
  • Nasturtium Alaska Majus
  • Nemophila Baby Blue Eyes
  • Lavatera Silver Cup
  • Nierembergia Purple Robe
  • Lobelia white cascade
  • Cleome violet queen
  • Helichrysum Summer Solstice
  • Marigold Doubloon
  • Salvia farinacea Blue bedder
  • Portulaca Sundial mix
  • Phacelia Tropical surf
  • Godetia amoena tall single mix
  • Milady aster (C. chinensis)


So is there a theme to my plantings? Not really. I am growing all sort of things, learning from what I grow, and always being prepared for a landscaping emergency. That's what happens when there's an unsightly gap in one's flowerbed. Horrors.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Your list is truly awe inspiring!

Anonymous said...

So awesome it inspires me!