Monday, August 20, 2007

So Few August Blooms

It's windy and cloudy today, but that didn't stop the kids from La Ronge who got to talk to Canadian astronaut Dave Williams this morning! Yes, from space to La Ronge, Saskatchewan. Apparently, Williams has roots in Saskatoon.

In more terrestial news: the garden seems so dull in August. Sigh. At least other garden bloggers note similar feelings at this time of year. I don't feel so alone. The cleome were a fantastic idea though; they light up the back of the flowerbeds.

Here are some blooms and colors I did manage to capture:

Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) from last year's plant that self-seeded, to my delight. I planted Digitalis mertonensis next to these seedlings and those should bloom next year.

Fall colors creep onto this large Bergenia cordifolia.

Gayfeather (Liatris spicata) has feathery purple spikes and combines well with purple coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea) and Monarda didyma (both seen in the background). All three are wildflowers that can live in dry soil and are fantastic for attracting butterflies and bees.

Threadleaf coreopsis: very delicate-looking pale yellow flowers float above a plant that appears to be composed mainly of air! These flowers bloom in August, adding some much-needed color. They spread only minimally and seem to need a sunny, open location.

Blanket Flower (Gaillardia grandiflora "Yellow Queen"): This plant produces large numbers of flowers and spreads by its roots to form huge clumps. I have realized that I need to divide or remove large portions of the clumps to keep the plants healthy and blooming.

3 comments:

Christa said...

I like your foxglove flowers. I don't see them very often in gardens around here; I'm not sure why. They are so lovely to look at. I have them on my "wish list" for next year.

Anonymous said...

Love all your flowers - I have many of them in my garden too. Only my foxgloves didn't appear anywere but at least the hollyhocks did well.

Manuela

Catherine said...

Your flowers are lovely...the purple liatris is stunning, I have always wanted to try growing that.