Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My Little Vegetable Garden

My few years as a garden fanatic have mostly focused on the flowers, neglecting the more prudent tasks of dirt-grubbers: vegetable gardening. Two years ago, resident-lawnmower-man built me two raised beds for herbs and vegetables. The very small herb bed gets afternoon shade and is currently growing parsley, cilantro, basil, chives and lettuce. I am hoping that the shade will prolong time to bolting. The bigger raised bed (all of about 10 feet x 4 feet) is in full sun and contains one rhubarb and one strawberry plant at the far end. The 3 "Sugary" grape tomatoes look like they were near death due to a late frost (around June 1), but are doggedly putting out new growth. Otherwise, my seedlings of rosemary, scallions, beets, carrots, savory, lettuce, dill and cilantro are coming up well. I also threw in a few sunflowers and nasturtiums for color and edible blooms. Now, for those neat and orderly vegetable growers out there, please don't judge my garden too harshly. I really should spend more time growing my own food. However, I usually just go out and throw a bunch of seeds in some dirt, label the spot and then wish the plants luck. I can't say I have the energy to follow weather reports and lovingly blanket my plants with poly to keep frost off like Ottawa Gardener.

Also, I have been wanting to get the book "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew. This method claims to be less work and more productive. A search of the blogosphere revealed many gardeners with pictures of neat little square foot gardens. I only wish I could have the patience for this. Oh well, next year...

Here's the largest of my hostas. This plant was just barely coming out of the ground at this time last month! It is Hosta sieboldiana "Elegans" and it is living in part shade (next to a Pulmonaria that has just finished blooming).

No comments: