Monday, December 22, 2008

Yule Log Spectacular!

I am pleased to say the yule log was a success, looking very logg-ish and festive. Here it is in all its chocolaty-goodness, surrounded by the little meringue mushrooms. I found the recipe and idea online at on the joy of baking website.

Since this is a garden blog, you should know that I would not post about a simple chocolate cake or non-fungus shaped meringues. I have standards, you know...

I dream of become one of those people who expertly creates pansies or roses out of royal icing. In fact, I have purchased all the needed supplies for becoming a sugar-florist, with the 50-piece Wilton cake-decorating set, icing gel colors, and other paraphernalia. However, I can't justify eating so much cake and sugar on a regular basis. As a kid, I even hated icing. A nice chocolate sponge cake with icing sugar sprinkled on top is provides an ideal amount of sweetness, in my opinion. This I can justify - and my family members thought it was pretty nice too. Do any of you have remarkable icing floral skills?

7 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Very loggish and mushroomy in deed ... a very yummy looking to boot! Sorry, no skills in the icing area.

Linda Lunda said...

What a log!
Merry Cristmas to you!
Linda

Amy said...

Wow, you did a beautiful job making this! I wouldn't say my skills are amazing, but I can do icing roses and such. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of work too. It's been years since I did any really fancy cake decorating.

Linda said...

Your yule log looks very authentic. Great idea. I rarely bake anymore and my only icing skills were spreading it over the cake, nothing fancy at all.

Kandace said...

Unreal! And of course amazing despite your first go at it. Mmmmmmmm fungi......

Becky said...

It looks to me kike you have a definite talent in this area. I'm more likely to use real Johnny jump ups. This time of year sweet flowers would make a wonderful blog post. Do you take requests?

Garden Lily said...

I love the mushrooms (although they sound too sweet)! Nice job! I love to experiment too, as you know from my campfire cake.