Saturday, July 01, 2006

Roadside Wildflowers

Part of being a garden-nerd is loving the flowers that grow outside my yard, including those in the ditch along the highway. Last month the showy pink ladyslipper orchids decorated the ditch along the highway running south of town.

Today, I stopped for the orange Wood Lilies (Saskatchewan's provincial flower) and the Common Red Paintbrush (Castilleja miniata).

I'm not sure why they were named "red" because they definitely are pink. The only other point of interest on the roads are the RVs with boats in tow. I'm not sure where they're planning to go, considering the evacuation of some of the provincial parks due to fire. The Nut Point provincial campground 1 km from our house is still okay (we're still here!).

1 comment:

Gardenista said...

Thanks. I am hoping the garden can stand some stress at the moment, as the wildfires around us are growing and we're conserving water for a while!